Monday, June 27, 2011

They Call It A Winning Streak: 6-5-1 (54-76-14 overall)



I should have won by a lot more this week, but my pitching staff turned in a second straight week of 8+ losses, a 5.00+ ERA and a WHIP north of 1.40. Pitching has been the strength of my squad all year (I lead the league in wins, for what that's worth), but it looks like that's headed in the wrong direction. The bullpen alone posted a 1-3 record for the week with a 7.53 ERA and a 2.37 WHIP. Ouch.

Offense is showing some signs of life, though I'm still having trouble plating runs and putting up a respectable OPS number. Guessing it's mostly OBP that I'm lacking, not slugging percentage. This hurts particularly, since I tend to build my teams around the Moneyball philosophy: you have to score runs to win and you can't score runs unless you get on base.

Aside: you really should watch the trailer for Moneyball. Go ahead, take a few minutes. I'll still be here...



Picked up Lucas Duda to fill the roster spot opened up in the wake of Shin-Soo Choo's injury. They're talking 6 weeks minimum and possible surgery which could sideline him for longer. This is gonna sting a bit.

Just when I thought Adam Dunn was coming around, he falls back into his season-long slump. He's 2 for his last 26 (.077) with 16 strikeouts. He's now on pace to hit about 15 home runs and strike out over 200 times. Dunn's never crossed 200 Ks (only Mark Reynolds ever has) but he has whiffed 194, 195 and 199 times. In those years he hit 46, 40 and 38 homers respectively. Without the power numbers, Adam Dunn is little more than Mark Bellhorn.

The good news is that if this were a roto league, I'd be in 17th place. Unfortunately, since it's head-to-head, I'm in 19th again, despite my 2 week winning streak. Nuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment