Wednesday, March 9, 2011

THE RULES HAVE CHANGED

In a previous post, I explained the Ugueth League's transactions rule (or rather, lack thereof):

Teams may make daily transactions and there are no limits on the number of transactions a team may make over the course of the season (the median number of transactions made by a team last year was 40, though the league champ made a whopping 324 transactions. I made 86.)


Monday night, Commish posts this:

One rule suggestion that was sent in to me, and one that I like personally very much, is to make roster changes effective on a weekly basis (Monday).

This would make it more like football in that there is no advantage to the person who can be online more often or who happens to be up early enough to pick up some scrub pitcher on a Sunday morning. I personally think that is one very generic aspect of our league that sucks, the cycling of pitchers. This would eliminate that for good.


Sure, I've cursed the names of a couple fantasy owners who beat me to a key free agent because I got hammered the night before and didn't get up in time to grab the guy I needed. If you're competitive and you want it bad enough, you'll make the time to make your adds and drops. It wasn't an exact correlation last year, but the teams who made a lot of moves generally performed better. It's not that they were gaming the system, they were just more involved. The more attention you pay to your team, the more likely you are to know how to improve it.

After 48 hours and a league vote, Commish posted this tonight:

A late evening vote breaks a 5-5 tie and passes the new roster rule.


So 6 votes changed a rule for a 20 team league. That seems fair.

There's a counter proposal to keep add/drops instantaneous, but to limit them to 3 per week. I think that's an acceptable compromise, but that still doesn't solve the issue of people who have better or more convenient internet access. I really don't think it's a problem: streaming pitchers can work to great effect in a 10-12 team mixed league because there are always mid-tier starters in the free agent pool. In a 20 team league, starting pitching is at a premium and there's usually no more than 1 or 2 free agent starters each day and they are, well, not good. You're taking a big chance in the losses, ERA and WHIP categories, just so you can take wins and strikeouts. A 2-for-3 swap doesn't seem like a smart gamble.

This rule change is actually making me think twice about whether I want to stay in this league. It's been a long time, but I don't really know these guys at all. I play fantasy baseball for the challenge, and this new rule change just made it less challenging for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment